WHAT IS SELF-LOVE ANYWAY?
When it comes to self-love we all know it is important. But do we know what it is? And how do we practice it?
Self-love, self-compassion, self-care, being kind to ourselves are phrases we hear all the time. But rarely do we take the time to reflect on what that means for ourselves. And yet, I would argue it is one of the most important things for us to focus on right now if we want to live in a kinder more compassionate world. It all starts with how we treat ourselves.
It all starts with how we treat ourselves.
So here is a cheat sheet to shift to a course of self-love
Cheat Sheet For Self-Love
Self-Love for Our Bodies:
Let’s start with the ‘container’ that holds it all, our body.
- Treat your body with respect.
- Nourish it with healthy food,
- Move it during the day
- Hydrate with fresh water
- Prioritize sleep
- There will be days that you don’t do these things and you write off and that’s OK, just gently re-set
Self-Love for Our Mind:
Our mind is where we build the foundation for self-love.
- The most important words we say are the ones we say to ourselves. Because they determine how we show up in the world for others too. When you notice that inner voice being negative imagine you are talking to someone you hold dear and speak kindly. Find a phrase that feels right to you. For instance, ‘I hear you, but I believe in you <3’
- Part of having a solid foundation means accepting the past. What has been remains behind you. If it still causes you discomfort know that you can change things going forward. But to keep re-playing that tape only serves to inflict more pain
- Making peace with perceived mistakes. Perhaps think of mistakes as sign-posts to doing things differently next time
- Forgiving others. To carry forward blame or hurt does nothing to the other person but does prevent you from being fully happy
“Life is about constant learning (sometimes the hard way). Forgive yourself for not knowing better. Now you do and that’s what matters. Try to also forgive those who stood in your way with folded arms and blocked the sunlight. They didn’t know better either.” Maya Angelou
Self-Love for Our Spirit:
- Whatever your belief system feeling connected to something bigger than ourselves nourishes your spirit
- We are all energetic beings. Made from atoms and molecules. And lucky enough to be alive
- Take some time to be quiet and connect with that sense that is YOU. Sitting still and focusing on your breath is a good way of doing this. Once you do that you can expand your awareness outwards to connect with others
We can all have a positive impact on the world around us. It starts with self-love