THIS ONE TWEAK WILL PUT A SPRING IN YOUR STEP
Like many of my best discoveries this one came about by accident. Not that I wasn’t already aware that this tweak would have a positive impact on my day. It’s just that I had never quite got around to implementing it! And when I finally did I had no idea how what a difference it would make.
This Christmas I was lucky enough to be given a watch. Remember those things we wore on our wrists before phones told us the time! I just love it.
An unexpected side-effect of this new addition was that I stopped sleeping with my phone beside my bed. To be honest, beforehand I was always forgetting my phone in another room so I had to go and fetch it before sliding under the sheets. But now I had a watch I no longer needed to because I had another way of telling the time.
This behavioural change became a habit and I started noticing a whole load of benefits. It all made sense to me. But I was genuinely surprised at the enormity of the difference.
The One Tweak To Put A Spring in Your Step:
Think of yourself as a battery. Every time you go to sleep you charge up overnight. You want to preserve that energy.
So what is the tweak that makes such a difference?
Avoid any screen time until breakfast.
Yes, really. No checking your phone. Best not to even leave it anywhere near your bed and use an alarm clock instead. No looking at emails, notifications or social media for that precious 30 minutes or so in the morning.
- As soon as you open that phone or computer you are in reactive mode, responding to what you are reading. This triggers stress and drains vitality.
- Opening up your phone first thing takes your mind away from this moment into the past or the future, which research tells us takes away from being happy in the moment.
- It steals that moment of quiet where you can form your own ideas about what you would like to get out of the day ahead. This to me has been the most magical shift in my day. Having that uninterrupted time disconnected from your devices gives you the chance to think about what YOU want to achieve today. It might be a way of feeling, a specific goal. You could also use this time to ask a question ‘What can I learn about my relationship with food today’ and simply allow your unconscious mind to be a student for the day.
I promise you this one tweak is worth giving a try. It’s like giving yourself a little charge in the morning.
Let me know if you notice you have more energy 🙂
* If you like the idea of snapping a photo of things that make you happy I invite you to join my private Facebook group #hereisbeauty. You will find all kinds of beautiful and uplifting photos there 🙂
* If you would like a an absolutely FREE guide to switching in any new habit it’s your lucky day. It has taken me months to distil down into bite-size pieces so you have a surefire way to successfully kickstart change in your life. Why is it so powerful? Because it activates your unconscious mind to support your willpower. Click here for ‘Your Blueprint For Change’. Maybe you want to start exercising, learn a new language, meditate daily. Whatever it is this will help you succeed.