Seek Out The Strange, The Wonderful, The Mildly Uncomfortable
Inside us all is an internal operating system that always knows what will align you with your true nature and purpose. When you are moving away from your true nature you will feel uncomfortable. When you are tuned into it life flows.
We hate to feel uncomfortable. We will do almost anything not to stay that way. Speaking for myself ,I’ll suddenly find I’m tidying cupboards, shopping online for a rotary cheese grater that suddenly seems essential, weeding the driveway obsessively, and in one classic moment of attempts at distraction combing the fringe of a Persian carpet. Yes, that really happened.
Whilst my bouts of tidying are quite a good thing in a vaguely messy house, pulling away from being unsettled is not. Stuff comes up all the time that makes us feel uncomfortable . I’m going to suggest that this is actually helpful. It guides us.
When I am uncomfortable now I pause and consider why. I sit with it until I figure out a clue as to how I have steered off-course and then I do something completely different. Why? Because I know that when I re-align myself life feels wonderful.
We all conform to some extent to certain cultural norms and expectations. I’m British, so I’m really good at that. We have learned what works to be accepted and gain approval from others. I’ve been known to twist myself in knots worthy of a seasoned sailor. I have unconsciously absorbed these things. But now I focus on developing that ever-present natural instinct that guides me back to my true nature. It takes some practice, but it’s life-changing. When it happens it feels like being touched by rays of sun that burst through on a cloudy day.
(For a taste of what I’m talking about check out my new Freebie Fridays below)
So How Do We Do That?
- Notice when you feel uncomfortable. It might be subtle, for instance not feeling good about going out on a weeknight with a friend. Or you put the phone down and realise the conversation just didn’t feel right. Or maybe it is glaringly obvious and you find yourself feeling paralysed with uncertainty when faced with a decision
- If you need to suddenly organise your spice rack knock yourself out. But when you’re done go back to what triggered that feeling. You may need to be a detective if it was subtle.
- We’re about to get to the fun part. You’re going to do something, anything different. Just don’t forget the trigger, and then allow yourself to step away and look outside the situation.
The Fun Part
This part is so easy and fun. And the more you do it, the more you activate your inner guidance system. Once you have distanced yourself from the situation and are doing something different…
- Look for coincidences that pop up. Pay attention. They are there for a reason.
- Notice strange connections that happen. It might be suddenly seeing a number plate with your initials on it. Or perhaps a song comes up that reminds you of a memory that somehow gives you insight into that issue. Maybe it is a person that you come across that clashes with your cultural norms and you find yourself shaken into looking at things from a different perspective
- Play with the idea of being a scientist in your own life. Do the odd routine task differently. Take a different path to a regular destination. Start to gently shake some of those things you have absorbed unconsciously that are blocking your connection to your true nature. It’s feels wonderful, freeing.
Do these things and your true nature will thank you for it. Masking discomfort stifles you. Seek out the strange and the wonderful instead.
In the following weeks we will be continuing this deeper dive so that we can uncover the happy, free, fulfilled YOU that lies just beneath the surface. If you follow me on this journey I can promise you ‘coincidences’ will start to pop up more and more frequently. Unexpected insights will appear out of the blue. Some of the beliefs you thought were holding you together will show themselves for what they really are – unseen traps that are holding you back. It’s going to be a fun ride 🙂
I’ve set aside time each Friday to help you with a free mini-consult. Here is the link to my FREEBIE FRIDAYS. Or simply contact me and suggest a time that suits you.